Age Minimum (with Adult): 16+, Minimum Age:16+
Play with young homeless children
Playspace Program: Horizons for Homeless Children created the Playspace Program with the belief that play is essential to healthy childhood development, and every child has the right to play. To make healthy play possible for children living in shelters in Massachusetts, regional staff build and maintain developmentally-appropriate and trauma-informed, “kid-friendly” spaces and stocks them with books, toys, games and arts materials. These Playspaces provide the opportunity for children to have a safe place to play, use their imaginations, heal from trauma, and just have fun.
Our volunteers, called Playspace Activity Leaders (PALs), have a wonderful opportunity to make a difference in the children’s lives by providing them opportunities for play that are critical for learning and growth. Volunteers go to a shelter based Playspace once a week, the location/day/time each week to play with young children.
Volunteering: Horizons for Homeless Children is looking for committed & dependable volunteers who:
- Can commit 2 hours a week for 6 months or more to volunteering
- Volunteers attend the same time and location weekly
- Most needed times are Mon-Thurs 6-7:30pm, some daytime shifts 10-12 in Worcester and Devens, 9:30-11:30 in Framingham
- Are at least 16 years old
- If under 18 a guardian must both attend the training and volunteer with minor volunteer
- Can attend a one-time, 3-hour training that covers everything from homelessness on a state and local level to early childhood development
Trainings are held on an ongoing basis throughout the state, you can attend any training location and then volutneer close to home. To view our current trianing schedule visit: http://horizonschildren.org/how-you-can-help/volunteer-network/pals/pal-volunteer-trainings/
Contact Casey at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: